Longwood Gardens, Kennett Sq, PA

Longwood Gardens, Kennett Sq, PA
Drinking Water

Friday, November 5, 2010

Longwood Gardens, Kennett Sq, PA 9/19/10

The children and I went to Longwood Gardens to see the sunflowers and the summer flowers. It was our first time there for the summer display. We headed over to a section of the gardens that we've never seen before. Outside of the topiary garden we found this drinking fountain. Perfect since it was a hot day.

Anita and Antonio are behind the gazebo.

The most awesome thing happened as we headed around the corner on our way to the bell tower. The main fountains came to life just as we turned the corner around a hedge. It was so exciting.
This spray reminded me of the fan spray at Fantasia that I saw in Orlando. The spray was used as the screen for the film. It was so awesome. I can't tell you my excitement when I saw this fan of water.


Rainbow in the water.

Antonio decided to take advantage of the cool water on this hot day.

The Idea Garden, which we never went to before 'cause I didn't know where it was, had a Thomas the Train and a lot of other trains in a garden railroad. I really enjoyed this because I love trains.




This was taken in an area across from the Idea Garden. That's where we found our second, really cool drinking fountain. The picture at the top of my Blog shows Anita and Antonio drinking from this fountain.

Thought this was a cool shot. Different from just flowers.

The water lilies were supposed to be at their peak but, I think we actually missed the peak. Anyway, these filmed nicely. I didn't include the water platters because I posted them last year.

Bananas in the tropical garden.

Anita took this shot of the hibiscus. I like her shot better then mine.

I like these hanging vines. Also in the tropical garden.

Antonio loves the old man cactus and always poses for a picture with them whenever we go to Longwood.

I love Bird of Paradise that I fell in love with when I lived in CA. These blooms seem smaller then the CA version that I remember.

This cool looking bush reminded me of a version of bottle brush bush that I also liked in CA.

Anita in the Childrens Garden dragon fountain.

A rainbow in the Childrens Garden.

The children and the dragon.

Spiral staircase in the Childrens' Garden.

Can you find Antonio in this picture? You may have to enlarge the picture to see him.

The bell tower. Our first time to see it. We went back later to hear the bell concert.

There was a TV screen at the bottom and the top of the stairs of the bell tower so visitors could watch the guest organist perform live.

The Whispering Bench. If you whisper a message into the bench, the person at the other end can hear what you whispered. We tried it and it worked. We read about the bench on facebook before we went to Longwood so, we tried it.



The Italian Garden and fountains.

I liked this shot. It's down the length of the garden on the outside edge.

One of several frogs that spout water into the circular fountain. This one is the largest.

The meadow.

Anita walking on a stone path from the meadow back to the bridge.

We stopped to take a rest, cool down and, eat our dessert. I think this was Anita's pumpkin cupcake.

Antonio found this sign when we over by the Idea Garden. The picture following the sign is of one of the cats that works at Longwood keeping the rodents away.

When the cat saw us coming, he rolled around and basically was showing off for us. We did not go near him, obeying the instructions from the sign.

Human feet and tree feet. I like this shot.

I always take pictures of this tree whenever I go to Longwood. Anita stayed in the background 'cause she was still barefoot.

After leaving the inside of the gardens, we headed over to the field at the perimeter to see the sunflowers. Unfortunately, we learned we were a week late. The flowers were drooping. Next year we will go when they are standing at attention. Heard about them on the news, researched where they were located and went to see them. I believe the weather the previous week kept us from going on time. We did find several scattered flowers still standing. Below, flower and bumble bees. Stink bugs were in abundance that day at the sunflower field.


I had read that a lady stood on her car to get a good shot of the sunflowers. Soooooo, I brought my stepladder. A few folks borrowed my ladder and one kind lady offered to take my picture on the ladder. I had such a pleasant time while there. Talked to many people. A couple from DE who are in a band and the woman, a yoga instructor were so interesting. I meant to post their picture 'cause the guy had a shirt on with a sunflower on it advertising a festival in HI. When I noticed it, I asked if I could take his picture and he agreed. Bummed I didn't download the picture.

One hundred thirty five thousand droopy sunflowers. Still an awesome sight. Glad we went.

Found a large one.






No comments:

Post a Comment