Longwood Gardens, Kennett Sq, PA

Longwood Gardens, Kennett Sq, PA
Drinking Water

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Ramapo Tomato Thief Spotted 7/16/10 and Other Garden News

Tomato news - BLT tomorrow!!!!!

This is the tomato that I picked and was going to eat green. I was determined to eat a tomato before the squirrel took off with it. With patience, I noticed it turning red soooo, tomorrow I am going to make me a BLT with the first red tomato from our garden.

Anita spotted the squirrel grabbing and running with one of the large Ramapo tomatoes. We ran outside and yelled at the squirrel until he dropped the tomato. He left his teeth marks in it. We brought it in the house and may eat the good half. After all, this is my "hope to be great Ramapo tomato" the tomato created by Rutger's Univ. to bring back the "Jersey Tomato" flavor we haven't tasted for many years. As you can see, I went to Lowe's and bought screening to wrap around the tomato plants. Keeping my fingers crossed.

These are a few of the tomatoes on one of the Ramapo plants. I hope to taste a couple of big, red, juicy tomatoes before the summer is over. My small garden seems to be fighting challenges that change from day to day. The squirrel ate off the corn stalks. There were six, now there is one. The beetles were eating the mint. Dill is a lost cause. Oh well! And then there's the destruction of the butterfly bush. It seems to be coming back, slowly. A butterfly actually visits the few blossoms on the sparce plant. And, the milkweed plant is dying. I guess it will not be home for Monarch butterflies. I don't know what's killing it.

1 comment:

  1. Turns out the anticipated flavor of the first tomato was a dud. It had no flavor. Holding out hope now for the ramapo tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete