Longwood Gardens, Kennett Sq, PA

Longwood Gardens, Kennett Sq, PA
Drinking Water

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Mercer Oak branch from 300 yr. old tree in Princeton




This branch is from the great Mercer Oak that was felled in March, 2000 by a storm. I went to see the fallen tree and collected the branch, thinking, this has historic value. I've now had the branch for 10 years. The 10th anniversary is this March 2010. I also captured the park ranger, in revolutionary garb, talking on his cell phone. To me, that was a classic shot. There were folks who cried at the loss of the tree that sat majestically in Battlefield Park in Princeton. A place where General George Washington walked. Besides the branch, I have newspaper articles, pictures and a commemorative plate. When I was walking from the site, another onlooker suggested that if I buy root grow that I could possibly get the branch to root and grow. That didn't happen for me. The root grow didn't work. I did put the branch in water and the buds started to open. That occurrence, to me, was exciting. So, due to it's historic value, I decided to share the branch with everyone who shares my blog. A chef from a local, prominent restaurant, carried branches that he planned to burn, to cook fish for the evening's menu. He was going to offer the feature of a meal cooked over the coals of the great Mercer Oak. In the place now of the great Mercer Oak is a sapling from the tree, donated by a resident of Princeton who had it growing in her yard. So you see, even though I didn't succeed at rooting my branch, the tree lives on in its' sappling. I should go to the park and snap a picture of the sapling to add to the story of it's mother tree. I will post it at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment