Longwood Gardens, Kennett Sq, PA

Longwood Gardens, Kennett Sq, PA
Drinking Water

Monday, July 22, 2013

Hummingbird Moth - A Cool Surprise on the Petunia Plant out Front. 7/21/13


I was doing dishes when I spotted what I thought was a hummingbird bee on the petunia plant. I couldn't get my hands dry quick enough so I could grab my camera and run outside to take pictures. Luckily the Hummingbird Moth (Googled it) was hungry as it stayed around to suck nectar out of every flower on the plant. Missed pictures of a couple of butterflies that joined the moth. They were too fast for me. Had to change battery in camera in the midst of taking pictures. This was so exciting for me. Couldn't wait to share it with daughter Diane.
 


Transparent wings.

Looks like feathers for a tail.



Notice the spiral tongue when not feeding. When it is sucking nectar, the tongue is long and straight and looks just like a hummingbird beak.
 




Silhouette.
 




What I first spotted from the kitchen window. I was thinking, "What is that thing".


No comments:

Post a Comment