Longwood Gardens, Kennett Sq, PA

Longwood Gardens, Kennett Sq, PA
Drinking Water

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Cape May with Maureen 10/8/10

After visiting Lucy the Elephant, we headed down south to Cape May. We hit a dead end at a bay and came upon a garden of butterflies flitting all around and a balcony on a house with the Blues Brothers on it. I was so delighted with the butterfly find.

Yucca plants attracted the butterflies offering them a feast of nectar.


The Blues Brothers and a sculpture of children at play. I'm guessing this is the home of the sculpture or, a very serious collector.



Loved this purple house that we found.

This inn had a really pretty name like "Fairy House" or something magical. Wish I had written it down.

Really liked this color combination and the architecture.

Standing balcony for one. Ocean Grove has one of these on a house that I plan to take a photo of on my next visit.

Very old elevator in an inn, antique shop, restaurant/bar.

All lined up and waiting for guests. I plan to one day put a collection of my LINED UP pictures together as there are several others.

There are many beautiful color combinations on the houses in Cape May.

I liked how they used the blue star lamps in the window.

There are two rounded porches on the ground level but, they don't show up in this shot.

Liked this house and wished the cars weren't in the picture.

World War II bunker on the beach at the bottom of Cape May, near the Lighthouse. This is a new find for me. There is a similar one in San Pedro, CA that I found when wandering there one sunny day back in the 80s.

Cape May lighthouse from the beach.

Maureen peering through the binoculars. Since she didn't wear beach shoes, she stayed up on the walkways and asphalt while I ventured off to see what I could find.

Sun is beginning to set.

No shells on this beach.

A closeup shot of the bunker.

There were these black birds nesting on the bunker. I was thinking that the bird watchers at the bird blind probably don't know they are there. This point is a huge spot for bird watching, drawing people from all over.

Face on the bunker.

There is a little bird, that blends in with the yellow on the bunker. If you enlarge the picture you can see it. Anyway, it would scurry up the side of the bunker really fast, fly down and, scurry up again. This went on for a while and I had a little trouble snapping its picture 'cause it was so fast.

Devil on the bunker.

Butterflies here too. Cape May point is a migration site for Monarch butterflies. They pass through by the thousands in Aug. This is Oct. and there were some stragglers, much to my delight.

Like this shot that I took of the egret.

Love this shot taken at Sunset Beach. The sunken cement ship plus two cruise ships passing each other to and from the port. I think the port is in Phila. but not certain. I have shots of the sunken ship from when I was 12 years old and you can see practically the whole ship back then.


We wnt to Sunset Beach to watch the flag ceremony but sadly, they weren't doing it that day as it's past the summer season. I've seen it a couple of times and so wanted Maureen to see it. They were planning on doing it on Sunday but, we were headed home. (A synchronicity note: My cousin Colleen sent me an article about the flag ceremony not knowing we had plans to go there that very weekend).

Sunset.


Maureen ventured onto the sand, minus beach shoes so, she's walking in people's footsteps to keep the sand out of her shoes. Thus the close scutiny to the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment